Andersonville

Andersonville is a neighborhood in western Edgewater / Uptown. Once a sleepy little village made up primarily of Swedish immigrants, the community is particularly known for its diversity, including a continued Swedish cultural presence led by the Swedish American Museum and other Swedish businesses.[6] Swedish businesses include the bar Simon's Tavern, a former basement speakeasy, which serves the Swedish wine drink as glögg, and Svea restaurants.[7]At one time there were more Swedes in Chicago than any city outside of Stockholm. Many of Andersonville's Swedes were carpenters, contractors and architects, and played a significant role in building the city.[7]

A significant number of Middle-Eastern businesses and new influx of families with children all make this a very diverse population. Andersonville is also known for its unique commercial district, made up almost entirely of a variety of independent locally owned specialty shops, restaurants, and service providers. Andersonville does, however, have a growing number of nationally known chains including a Starbucks CoffeeMcDonald'sHair CutteryThe UPS Store, a Subway sandwich shop and a recently opened Potbelly Sandwich Shop.

The Andersonville Commercial Historic District, which runs between 4900 and 5800 N. Clark Street, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in March 2010.[8] It joined the nearby residential Lakewood Balmoral Historic District.

The approximate street boundaries of Andersonville, as defined by the Andersonville Chamber of Commerce, are Lawrence (4700 N) to the south, Victoria (5800 N) to the north, Ravenswood (1800 W) to the west, and Magnolia (1250 W) to the east. The heart of Andersonville’s commercial district is Clark and Berwyn (5300 N). The heart of the Andersonville commercial district is the corner of Clark St. & Berwyn Ave. (5300 N. Clark Street).[9]

The stretch of Clark St. south of Foster Ave. (where Andersonville has expanded across community boundaries into northern Uptown) is sometimes called South Foster, or SoFo.

Andersonville är en del av stadsdelen Edgwater i norra Chicago. Området är känt som ett centrum för den svenskättande befolkningen i Chicago och som ett tidigare centrum för invandrade Chicagosvenskar.

Andersonville började bebyggas under mitten av 1800-talet. Andersonville fick sitt namn officiellt 1964 i samband med en ceremoni där borgmästaren Richard J. Daley deltog.[1] En stor andel av befolkningen under 1800- och 1900-talet var invandrade svenskar som flyttade ut från Chicago när byggandet av trähus förbjöds efter Stora Chicagobranden 1871. Svenskarna var vana vid trähus och hade inte heller råd att bygga hus i sten inne i Chicago. Antalet svenskar i området växte och huvudgatan Clark Street hade i början av 1900-talet en rad svenska butiker och verksamheter. Bland annat en sybutik, järnhandel och en bank, Swedish American State Bank, etablerades. I Chicago fanns många svenska föreningar och kyrkoförsamlingar.

Efter andra världskriget ändrades förutsättningarna med utflyttning till andra förorter och minskat engagemang i föreningslivet. Många butiker försvann i början av 1970-talet men det finns fortfarande verksamheter med svensk anknytning: Swedish Bakery[2], Simon's tavern, Erickson’s Delicatessen och Svea Restaurant. 1976 invigdes Swedish American Museum. Kung Carl XVI Gustav har besökt Andersonville 1976 och 1988.[3][4] I anslutning till Andersonville finns även Swedish Covenant Hospital.

Search Andersonville Homes for Sale

New Listings

Featured picture for the property 10112740
$145,000
CHICAGO, IL
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of Jameson Sotheby's Intl Realty MLSNI
Featured picture for the property 10112394
$129,000
CHICAGO, IL
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of @properties MLSNI
Featured picture for the property 10112239
$224,000
CHICAGO, IL
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of Baird & Warner MLSNI
Featured picture for the property 10111365
$229,000
CHICAGO, IL
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of Compass MLSNI
Featured picture for the property 10112078
$190,000
CHICAGO, IL
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of @properties MLSNI
Based on information submitted to the MRED as of Oct 16, 2018 12:27:am. All data is obtained from various sources and has not been, and will not be, verified by broker or MRED. MRED supplied Open House information is subject to change without notice. All information should be independently reviewed and verified for accuracy. Properties may or may not be listed by the office/agent presenting the information.

NOTICE: Many homes contain recording devices, and buyers should be aware they may be recorded during a showing.
DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT (DMCA) NOTICE

Today's Market Trends for Andersonville *

$1,108,060

0.08%

$305

0.08%

-0.19%

September

August

-0.2%

0%

Chart Temporarily Unavailable